Monday, October 28, 2013

The Accident


"A driver just hit my car," I said into the phone, my arm shaking.
"Tell me about your accident," the insurance agent said flatly as if she were asking for directions.
"It's not 'my' accident."
"Whose is it then?"
"She hit me."
"But it happened to you."




Here's what I know about car accidents: 1) Every accident is unique; 2) Every accident costs money; and 3) Every accident is a pain in the rear-end, posterior, derriere, seat and tuchis. And if you get rear-ended like I did, you can add "pain in the neck" to the list of ailments. Here are some new things I've learned about accidents: 1) Whip lash is no fun; 2) Talking to insurance companies, mechanics and doctors takes time; and 3) Women drivers. There, I said it.

The accident happened when I was stopped at a traffic light. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw a white car approaching from behind. The white car didn't stop. Boom! It hit me. The other driver said she'd pay for the damages out of pocket. I believed her. Stupid me.

I went to the doctor for the pain in my neck. I took my car to body shops. I got estimates for the repairs. I called the woman who hit me and gave her the estimates because she said she'd pay. She refused to pay. Stupid me.

Luckily I'd called my insurance company who were great and handled things. I felt less stupid.

At work I told two female friends about the accident and the woman driver who refused to pay.
"Accidents are the worst," Monica said shaking her head. "When I hit that guy two years ago he was a jerk about it."
"You hit him?" 
"Yeah, he was foreign and cursed me out in Italian."
"Accidents bite the big one," Susan nodded. "Last year I backed into a guy in the parking garage."
"You hit him?"
"Yeah, and he went ballistic."
"Mercedes ballistic or BMW ballistic?"
"Porsche ballistic."

I didn't press my friends any further on their accidents because they did the right thing. They caused the accident and they paid for it.

Causing an accident is like being pregnant: you either are or you aren't. There's no middle ground. So it doesn't matter if you hit a Jaguar, a Ford or a dune buggy, if you caused an accident, you need to pay for it. 

So women--and men--drivers, when you're behind the wheel, do everyone a favor and don't text or talk on the phone. Just focus on driving. I bet then there would be fewer accidents on the road. 

And if not, I'll just curse in Italian.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, CD!
      If I counted up the hours of time that this accident has cost me, I could have written a 57 blog posts, 36 haikus, and one funny novel! Enjoy your day and be safe on the road!
      --Alicia

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I feel for you accidents are better to avoid, but then I guess that why they are accidents. My car was parked and rear-ended big time while we were on vacation this past summer. Our insurance was great and everything was handled amazingly quickly. We we delayed a few days, but things turned out much better than we expected.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your rear-end story, Arlee! In addition to all the calls and work an accident thrusts on you, it robs you of time that I for one would rather spend writing! Thank goodness for insurance! Be safe!
      --Alicia

      Delete
  3. “So it doesn't matter if you hit a Jaguar, a Ford or a dune buggy, if you caused an accident, you need to pay for it.”— Good point! It’s our duty to be mature and responsible enough to face the consequences of our actions.

    Maggie @Mastragelo Law Offices

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie,
      Thanks for reading and for your comment. Hoping your day is accident and trouble-free! Best wishes,
      --Alicia

      Delete
  4. And some accidents take life. My experience with accidents were very painful. I had lost my dog. I loved him so much! :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear about your dog and accident! Of course you miss him. Pets make our lives so much richer, fuller and more fun. I hope you're health is good and I wish you peace with being parted from your dear dog. Best wishes,
      --Alicia

      Delete
  5. Accidents are called accidents because they occur unexpectedly and caught people off guard. Good thing though, it was a minor one and that no one was severely hurt. But you said that the girl at fault didn't pay you for the damages? This is an opportune to hire a competent lawyer to get the just compensation the victim -- you -- deserves. But thank you for sharing your story and the things you've learned through this!
    Vesta Duvall @ The Zalkin Law Firm, P.C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vesta,
      Thanks for reading and for your comment. Accidents happen and I'm happy to report now that everything is getting worked out. Indeed, the most important thing is that no one lost life or limb in this accident. Enjoy today!
      --Alicia

      Delete
  6. “Talking to insurance companies, mechanics, and doctors takes time.” – I totally agree. It’s hard to explain lots of things to them, considering you are all shook up by the accident. And some irreputable insurance companies would actually try to throw a bumsteer on you so you'd be more confused about what claims you have. Should you experience an accident, you should call your lawyer and let them do the report and schedule a meeting with your insurance company. While they work, you can focus on your recovery.

    RobertNOAlaw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wanda,
      Thank you for your comment. You raise good points. Enjoy today!
      --Alicia

      Delete