Saturday, November 23, 2013

A Big Success!

"Are you going to forget what to do?"Mr. Wonderful said putting the box of books in the trunk.
"Nope," I said clutching the car keys.
"Are you nervous?"
"Nope."
"Have you ever done this before?"
"Nope!"


All week the calmer I was, the more nervous Mr. Wonderful grew. Until now, the night of my first book signing, Mr. Wonderful had morphed into a mess of nerves acting like a skittish colt before running the the biggest race of its life at Churchill Downs, and I was like a Zen Buddhist monk saying "Om"and eager to get a glass of wine in my hands. Because that's what Buddhist monks do, they say "Om" and hold glasses of wine in their hands.



This week was the very first event for my book, Evolution of a Wine Drinker. It took place at V Wine Room and included me reading an excerpt from my book, signing copies of the book and pouring glasses of wine for friends and attendees.

While Mr. Wonderful was home pacing in the pasture, I was living it up with a wonderful night of sharing my book with some funny comedy friends, some charming wine group friends and some new newly-made newbie friends. It was wonderful!

I was so thankful to the gals who spearheaded the event, V Wine Room for hosting and to everyone who came out for it! Thank you all for your support!

I was especially happy that my dear writer friend Gayle Carline could come. She'd driven six hours in her work clothes to get there. Okay, maybe it just felt like six hours because driving anywhere in Los Angeles feels like six hours. As a fellow writer, I appreciated her words of wisdom.

"If you're nervous, drink a glass of wine," she said.
"What if I'm not nervous?"
"Then still drink a glass of wine!"

I embraced Gayle's advice wholeheartedly. In fact I embraced my friends and everyone who attended.

Back at the house Mr. Wonderful met me in the driveway. I guess he'd been pacing the length and breadth of our property the whole time I'd been away.

"Did you forget what to do?" he said lifting the box of books out of the trunk.
"Nope," I said clutching the car keys.
"Were you nervous?"
"Nope."
"Will you do it again?"
"YES!"

6 comments:

  1. Well done on your first book even, are you coming over to the UK anytime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill!
      I would LOVE to go to the UK! It's one of my favorite places! I'll see what the new year brings! Enjoy today!
      --Alicia

      Delete
  2. It was a wonderful evening: good wine, good friends, and a GREAT book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacy!
      I was so happy that you could be there, that you could hear the reading and that you laughed! Your laughter at my work is a huge compliment! Thanks again! Enjoy today!
      --Alicia

      Delete
  3. Bummer I live on the east coast! Glad it was such a success! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patty!
      This was first reading of more--I hope! You know what they say, Go East, young woman, go East! So I think I will in 2014! Happy thanksgiving to you! Enjoy today!
      --Alicia

      Delete